Subject: Re: Disbuted town on Scottish/English border offer money to rejoin Scotland
Date: Apr 17, 2002 @ 12:52
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

Yes, and in war with Russia as well...

"Berwick's status was such that even the Crimean War had to be
declared in the name of Great Britain, Ireland and Berwick Upon
Tweed. Strangely after this war, when the peace treaty was signed
Berwick's name was omitted and for many years the town was said to be
technically still at war with the Russians."

( http://www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk/BerwickuponTweed.htm )

And whether this story is true or not, apparently it gets transformed
with every war Britain engages into...

I can't see why Berwick would have to be mentioned along with Great
Britain. As far as I know, Berwick was (is) a town disputed by
England and Scotland. Nobody would deny that Berwick is on the island
of Great Britain, and is part of the UK.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Anton Florian Zeilinger"

http://messenger.msn.com