Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Ethiopia/Eritrea Border
Date: Apr 15, 2002 @ 18:57
Author: Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen ("Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

On the border conflict

http://home.wxs.nl/~hans.mebrat/0001.HTM
----- Original Message -----
From: ps1966nl
To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 8:22 PM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Ethiopia/Eritrea Border

So no tripoint djeret established yet:

"Article I of the 1908 Treaty provides that the boundary, running
southeast and at distance of 60 km from the coast, continues until it
joins "the frontier of theFrench possessions of Somalia." The
reference to "the French possessions of Somalia" is understood by the
Parties to refer to the State of Djibouti, which has succeeded
to "the French possessions of Somalia." The 1908 Treaty does not
establish a particular place on the frontier with Djibouti which
would become a tripoint by virtue of the Treaty of 1908, but relies
upon the 60 km formula to establish the location of the tripoint. The
termination of the boundary of the 1908 Treaty at its easternmost
extremity is the point, 60 km from the coast, where the boundary line
meets the frontier of Djibouti. The exact location of this point
(Point 41) will be specified in the demarcation phase, taking account
of the nature and variation of the terrain as well as the precision
made possible by large-scale survey maps."

eretsd is fixed, but interesting as well. Cf.:

"(...)Thus, it was the February 1903 demarcation that brought the
tripoint to the north bank of the Setit opposite the Khor Royan.

5.12 It is not open to the Commission to change the agreed tripoint
between Eritrea, Ethiopia and the Sudan. As the Ethiopian-Eritrean
boundary is in this sector a river boundary, it must be treated as
starting at the tripoint, then running to the centre of the Setit,
immediately opposite that point, before turning eastwards and
continuing up the Setit until it turns to the northeast to run
towards the confluence of Mareb and Mai Ambessa (Point 9)."

Peter S.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1930000/19306