Subject: Re: Enclave thesis
Date: Apr 12, 2002 @ 18:24
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

well it is nice to hear what you wish & enjoy len

yet being of value to the entire world wasnt immaterial to the author
who expressly wished & claimed it for his thesis
& it is perhaps the best idea in the paper
so i was following that part with the greatest interest
for it certainly feels good to imagine that anyone or anything could
be of value to the entire world
& indeed to wish that for oneself & ones action
so if anyone did understand better what the author meant in this
regard i would still like to rehear your idea of this thesis
which has frankly eluded me
thats all
whether it is immaterial for you or not

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Mr. Vinokurov's document made interesting reading. I think it is
> useful for anyone in the world who needs a primer on how to catalog
> things. It is rich in upper level assessments, but like so many
other
> writings on enclaves, it doesn't dealve into the "nitty-gritty" of
> people's lives in them. For instance, if you live in an exclave,
and
> have to call an ambulance, can it come from the adjacent country?
Who
> pays the bill and how, in the case of medical insurance carriers.
> Does an exclave resident need a work permit to work in the adjacent
> country? If Dutch tanks rolled in and occupied a farmfield in
Baarle
> that belonged to Belgium, would Belgium be allowed to violate the
NL -
> B border to help it's exclave? I experienced two such incidents,
one
> in Baarle - where a neighbor called the police to turn down the
volume
> of a crowd at a party a couple of doors away - the other house was
in
> a foreign country - the police department that was called couldn't
do
> anything once they arrived and found the house wasn't in their
> country. In Buesingen, I once tried to use US military gas coupons
at
> the Esso station - the coupons are good at any Esso and BP station
in
> Germany - but not at the one in Busingen. Why? Because, gas in
> Busingen is priced in Swiss currency, taxed at German rates in the
> Swiss Franc equivalent, and the gas station's source of supply is
> Swiss.
>
> Im not levying a criticism of Mr. Vinokurov's work by my message,
just
> wishing someone would write up local stories like those from
exclaves
> they've visited - to get depth on the subject rather than high
level
> catgorizations of what exclaves are in ever varying compilations of
> words that basically repeat the same subject matter.
>
> Mr. Vinokurov's work did expose a couple new situations I'll have
fun
> getting into, and for that I am grateful he wrote his piece and
that
> someone here posted it. Whether it matters to the world at large
is
> immaterial.
>
> Regards
>
> LN
>

> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> > nice to have this reassembly of many basic clave ideas tho i
couldnt
> > quite see how the author figured the experience would be of value
> > the entire world
> >
> > also i was interested to see that he cited catudal but evidently
> > demurred from using the pene word when semi & quasi were clearly
> > better

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "ps1966nl" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> > > It's new news to me.
> > >
> > > Of course, this is from the Albertina, i.e. Kaliningrad State
> > > University. K'grad Russians are more than preoccupied with
their
> > > status. "Enclave" for them means being the poorest of all
Baltic

<blofeld_es@y...>