Subject: Re: gvivli
Date: Apr 03, 2002 @ 18:08
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> that global explorer seems such a great new toy & a distinct
> advancement on the state of our african data generally
> so i wonder if we couldnt use it to do a similar job on any of the
> other african tripoints just to illustrate them & perhaps
crosscheck
> the most problematic of the remaining brownlie data
Global Explorer's data are a good ten years old now, as that teensy
copyright notice in the corner of the generated map reveals.
Delorme, in their wisdom, replaced it with EarthA, a hugely inferior
product with shaded relief (but no contours) and lower resolution,
but the exciting options to animate helicopter flights or to hear a
travelogue from a noxious animated parrot called "Floyd". Gah.
In the past I've found the registration of the various features in GE
to be slightly (or occasionally seriously) adrift - as witness the
fact that Mont Nimba isn't quite plotted precisely on the border.
However, it's a handy resource, and I'll happily trawl both progs for
any specific examples you care to name.

> also cant help wondering if delorme improves on the depiction of my
> old favorite the darien road gap
I'd have a look, but I'm not sure precisely where I should be looking!

Grant