Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: tp: czplsk
Date: Apr 03, 2002 @ 13:18
Author: Pepijn Hendriks ("Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh@...>)

I wrote:

> There are indeed three obelisks. According to the website you
> mentioned, the tripoint is in the gorge of a brook bed and could
> therefore not be demarcated with one single border marker.
>
> More will follow; I'm working on a translation.

In English, the first paragraph of
<http://www.volny.cz/obec.hrcava/trojmezi.html> reads:

"The municipality of Hrčava is wedged between Poland and Slovakia.
The common point belonging to no-one, and at the same to all three
states, the point where the borders of the Czech Republic, the Polish
Republic and the Slovak Republic meet, is also on the territory of
Hrčava. Because this tripoint is located in the gorge of a brook bed,
it was impossible to demarcate it with a border marker, so that the
tripoint is only geometrically defined. It is the centre of a circle
described by the tops of an isosceles triangle, which is formed by
three trilateral pyramidlike monoliths out of polished granite, that
are ca. 215 cm tall. Each monolith is fitted with the national emblem
of the respective state and its name. The individual monoliths are on
the territory of the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia
respectively. They are planted in such a way, that the national
emblems are turned towards the tripoint, where the borders of the
Czech, Slovak and Polish republics meet. The base of the triangle is
formed by the flowline of the Czech and Polish monoliths. Metallic
cylindershaped boxes were placed in an opening in the base of each
monolith, containing commemorative documents, other pieces of
writing, newspapers of that time, and coins."

I will post the translation of the entire page soon. I have to go and
do more urgent things now.

(This message uses the ISO 8859-2 character set. If you are unable to
read this: a caron should be placed over the c in _Hrcava_.)

-Pepijn

--
pepijnh@... -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ -
6033220