Subject: Re: Offshoot query
Date: Mar 28, 2002 @ 18:49
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> > May be slightly offshoot. I am intrigued by countries
> > like Azerbaijan which consists of two parts which are
> > not connected by land and neither of which are
> > islands. One another that I recall is Kaliningrad of
> > Russia. How many other instances are there of a
> > country having two or more of such separate parts?
>
> If you count only countries with outliers that are not
> enclaves/exclaves you would have:
>
> Angola (Cabinda)
> Azerbaijan (Naxcivan)
> Brunei (Two Sections seperated by Malaysia)
> East Timor (Oecussi-Ambeno)
> Oman (Musandam)
> Russia (Kalingrad)
> Spain (Ceuta and Melilla)
> UK (Cypriot SBA)
> US (Alaska)

Several comments:
1) While researching enclaves, I phoned one of the civil servants who
administer the SBAs to ask their exact status. He described them
as "the last UK dependent territory" with less autonomy than the
overseas territories or Crown dependencies, but nevertheless not
administered as part of the UK.
2) To Ceuta and Melilla you should add the prison rock of Peñón de
Vélez de la Gomera, which is connected to the mainland by a sandspit
that Michael and I are going to dig up some moonless night.
3) If you want to ignoring linking territorial seas, as you have done
in the case of Brunei (and that's a valid enough choice, I think),
then you should also count the European part of Turkey, and
the eastern part of Dubrovačko-Neretvanska in Croatia (separated from =

the rest of the country by Bosnia-Herzegovina's short coastline).
4) What about fragments that are *on* islands, but have land borders?
The distinction between fragment-on-an-island and fragment-on-a-
continental-land-mass is a little artificial. So how about Northern
Ireland and Sabah/Sarawak, as examples off the top of my head?

Grant