Subject: Re: Offshoot query
Date: Mar 28, 2002 @ 19:41
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Are the two pieces of Brunei really separated by Malaysia, or are
> they perhaps connected by territorial seas?

I am pretty sure that they are connected by territorial sea but as
such it may be better to call the fragment a pene-frangment as the
only road access is through Malaysia. Guess we have to add that to
the dictinary of border words. :)

> Re: the SBAs - They were carved out of a colony, not out of the
> motherland - you can't say you are in a outlipart of Britain just
> because they are named "British Sovereign Base Areas", can you? I
> think that they are "peculiarities of the crown", as Jersey and
> Guernsey are - under "British" sovereignty, but not part of the
> motherland. There would have to have been an act of annexation to
> incorporate them into the territory of either Britain or the United
> Kingdom. Without that, aren't these bases just the rump portions
> of a colony that continues to exist, and (outside of the exclaves
> of Cyprus inside the bases) consists now of no civil areas, only
> military areas? In other words, the borders of the Cyprus colony
> shrunk when they were moved from being synonymous with the whole
> island to only the portion consisting of the bases - the
> sovereignty over the rest having been given away to the Cypriot
> people.

I have tried to detemine what the SBAs are. They are not dependencies
like Bermuda (Territory of the UK) or Jersey (Territory of the
Crown), so I have concluded that they are part of the UK proper. This
may be wrong. I also considered that the SBAs have no government
other than the Ministry of Defense.

There is no Territory of Cyprus anymore so your description of the
SBAs is not really valid IMO.

- Andrew