Subject: Re: Offshoot query
Date: Mar 28, 2002 @ 15:44
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Are the two pieces of Brunei really separated by Malaysia, or are they
perhaps connected by territorial seas?

Re: the SBAs - They were carved out of a colony, not out of the
motherland - you can't say you are in a outlipart of Britain just
because they are named "British Sovereign Base Areas", can you? I
think that they are "peculiarities of the crown", as Jersey and
Guernsey are - under "British" sovereignty, but not part of the
motherland. There would have to have been an act of annexation to
incorporate them into the territory of either Britain or the United
Kingdom. Without that, aren't these bases just the rump portions of
a colony that continues to exist, and (outside of the exclaves of
Cyprus inside the bases) consists now of no civil areas, only military
areas? In other words, the borders of the Cyprus colony shrunk when
they were moved from being synonymous with the whole island to only
the portion consisting of the bases - the sovereignty over the rest
having been given away to the Cypriot people.

Regards

Len Nadybal
Washington DC
www.exclave.info