Subject: Re: Former DDR-border patrol boats for sale
Date: Mar 28, 2002 @ 15:06
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Harry ten Veen" <pa8km@a...> wrote:
> Today I visited a nearby ship-yard.
> I looked at, stood on, sat in and photographed some of those ships.
>
> It was a special feeling to see 6 of them laying on the quay.
> They were DDR-built in 1980, have two very large V8 engines and do
about 70
> km/h.
>
> There were two restaured boats in the water. Still having the big
search
> lights on top.
> In the excitement I forgot to ask the price of sale..
>
> Just one day in a borderfreaks life.....

I remember something like this a decade ago and found it quite funny
at the time. There was an advertisment for the sale of the complete
Ethiopian Navy (5 or 6 patrol boats IIRC). After the independence of
Eritrea, Ethiopia lost its access to the Red Sea. The ships were for
sale in Djibouti.

-Andrew