Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: grad school suggestions
Date: Mar 17, 2002 @ 18:58
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

As you may recall, I don't think mixed-level multi-points are very
interesting. Personally, the various kinds of territory at sea leave me
completely cold. I wonder if 99 % of the public agree with me, or 1 %?
I find it mildly interesting to document the extent to which various
hierarchical jurisdictions such as town, county, province, state, nation
extend out into ocean water or out into lakes, etc.

Anyway, one could come up with a formal typology of administrative
multipoints, that took account of how many regions/boundaries meet at the
multipoint, and what level in the geopolitical hierarchy the regions are.
We might define a homogeneous multipoint as a point at which three or more
regions of the same level meet, tri-state, tri-county, tri-nation points.
Inhomogeneous points would be mixed-- eg two states and another country.

I am not sure what if any the scientific questions to be researched would
be.

David