Subject: Re: Virginia/DC Information
Date: Mar 07, 2002 @ 14:05
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Washington as a city name was abolished, I think early in the 20th
> century - I can check the date. There is only now the District of
> Columbia. Officially, there is no city with the name Wasington in
> the District. We who work for the government are perpetually
> arguing the proper titles of things - like the mayor. He's the
> mayor of the District of Columbia. The City government is the
> District of Columbia. Our letterheads have Government of the
> District of Columbia on them, with a mail address "Washington
> D.C.", which means the name Washington for this place exists at
> least for the post office. There is no longer any pocket of
> county land or other territory within the Boundaries that is not
> governed by the Government of the District of Columbia. What is
> funny, though, is that there is the concept of the "federal
> enclave", made up of those pieces of land on which federal
> agencies sit, to which the local government is in many ways
> subservient, and over which the local government has no taxing
> authority. The National Park Service maintains roads, etc., within
> the "enclave" -i.e., the Mall, etc. The district government's
> reign over these areas is minimal if extant at all. The wallmap
> in the building here showing the different territorial authorities
> is really a jigsaw type of thing.

I am a consultant who has worked for several Federal Agencies and
have found going to DC to be intersting juristicaional. For example,
I worked for the US Courts for several years and the building I
worked in was next to Union Station but considered part of Capitol
Hill so that the Capitol Police could guard the building (a necessary
in that area). Here in Northern Virginia we have some of the same
problems. Many areas likly Langley and the Pentagon are federal
building and do not pay taxes. As part of my work I see other
buildings which are less obvious that are also owned by the feds and
do not pay taxes.

DC always seems to be in the poor house and it would be logical for a
commuter tax, but as Congress really controls the Districts purse
strings, that will never happen. Especially when Marion Berry (former
mayor who got caught smoking crack and after going to jail get re-
elected) decided to run for an office again. Nevertheless, I wish
something would happen to mke DC more self-sufficent and have some
representation in Congress.

-Andrew