Subject: Re: Virginia/DC Information
Date: Mar 07, 2002 @ 13:50
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Hi.
> I heard about two weeks ago that the Congressional parking at
> Dulles was closed, because there is a huge parkhaus going in.
> There are Congressional privileged areas at Reagan National, too.
> It is Reagan National, not Dulles, where the metro goes, and which
> Bob Barr, a right-leaning Congressman browbeat the metro over signs
> saying "Reagan" national airport.

I thought I indicated National for the parking and Metro. I live in
Fairfax County and use the Metro enough to know where it is going. It
is interesting to note that the Metro has renamed several stations in
the past few years including mine. It use to be Vienna but is now
Vienna/Fairfax-GMU even though George Mason University is not that
close to the station.

I am not surprised that the Congressional parking at Dulles has been
removed as very few Congressmen use Dulles. Rather they have changed
the perimeter rules at National to allow them to fly home from there.
(Sen. McCain changed the rule so that he could fly to Phoenix from
National rather than drive an extra 25 miles to Dulles)

> I believe that Braniff Airways flew commercial Concordes into
> Dulles earlier than the US allowed international Concorde flights -
> I could be wrong, because they might have flown into New York....

The first commercial flights of the Concorde were as indicated but
the Braniff connect to the Concords is an interesting one. Airlines
have certin rights (also called freedoms) given through their parent
countries (the country get the rights by bilateral treaties) that
dictate what/where/when they can fly to. In this case British Airways
and Air France can operate flights to and from the US but can not
operate any revenu flight within the US.* But there was demand for
flights from Dalles(DFW) to Europe. So Braniff arranged to lease the
Concordes (from both British Airways and Air France) as soon as they
landed in Dulles(IAD), register them as US airplanes, and fly to
Dalles(DFW). After dropping off passangers and picking up new ones,
the process would be reversed. Singapore did a similar service
between Bahrain and Singapore with British Airways.

* This part can get complicated, Air France for example could have
dropped off some passangers at Dulles(IAD), the fly to Dalles(DFW)
and dropped of the remainder but they could not pickup any pasangers
for the Dulles(IAD)-Dalles(DFW) leg of the trip as that would be
generating revenue for Air France.

> I.e., the German military mission in Dulles - it is a depoendency
> of the mission itself which is just off the airport grounds in
> Reston, Virginia.

I almost went the the German Military Mission a few years ago. They
we holding an Octoberfest party, but work prevent me from going. It
would have been fun as the German flew over the food and beer and as
it was in the mission it was tax-free.

-Andrew