Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Two national telephone area codes
Date: Feb 22, 2002 @ 19:24
Author: Doug Murray for StockPhotosOnline.com ("Doug Murray for StockPhotosOnline.com" <dmurray@...>)

Here's some info I found about Stewart-Hyder:

Stewart, BC (pop 650) and Hyder, Alaska (pop 102) are an example of borders uniting rather than dividing.  Here, the citizens of both towns depend on each other for the things we take for granted.  Stewart has the only bank and ATM.  Hyder has the commercial dock.  Stewart has most of the stores.  Hyder has the nightlife and bars (2).  Hyder residents purchase by gas by the litre in Stewart (the only gas station).

Customs agents are familiar with residents, and that makes crossing in this time of heightened security a little easier – in the winter.  In the summer, 11,000 tourists arrive, making things much more difficult.

But, as Stewart, BC’s mayor says, “We are really two countries, but one community. I firmly believe that the recent events will actually make us stronger because we now realize how much we depend on one another. It’s not about where the boundaries lie, but how we live our lives… We’re one big family and always will be."   We’ll meet the family!