Subject: Re: "Pene-enclave"
Date: Dec 15, 2001 @ 22:15
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

David:
> Are these all cases where a fragment of one country touches the rest of
> that country at exactly and only one point, like Jungholz? I think
that is
> what we seem to use "pene-enclave" to mean.
That's what I thought, too. But Brendan's definitions show that
established usage refers to an area that is joined to the parent
country but accessible only from another country, like Marcel's Ã"s de
Civís.
Seems to me that there are therefore *degrees* of pene-enclaveness:
the conventional usage seems to depend on vehicular access, but a
cross-country trek and a bit of fence climbing might in principle get
you into such a pene-enclave without leaving the parent country.
Whereas Jungholz and the Bengali examples are absolute pene-enclaves:
there is no possibility of anyone getting into them without some part
of them passing through or over foreign territory. These
joined-at-a-point territories are what Michael coined "clavicle" to
describe.

Grant