Subject: Re: Steinstuecken enclave in an exclave
Date: Dec 11, 2001 @ 18:50
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

I'm not so sure that the triangle was handed over. The maps I got
from the Berlin Senate, which were annotated by a participant in the
negotiations, I believe shows that pieces in Eiskeller were left in
DDR hands. I was also there, and have photos of it.... it might take
while to find the photos, but later today I should be able to post an
detailed illustration of Eiskeller after the change.

How would what is pictured on my Steinstucken "after" map be a
"pene-exclave"?

It's clear from the "before" map that is inset into the graphic I
posted, that Steinstucken lost some slivers and the track bed (slivers
along the north road where the border takes a couple of short turns
south before continuing westward along the street. I've stood here
and have noted the border signs that were erected after the border
change. One was right in the middle of the northernmost road at the
eastern end that goes into the DDR. It didn't seem to indicate the
border turned in the road, it seemed to go north-south right across
the whole road. I can't imagine, given the times and the detail with
which the access road was handled, that the DDR would have left a
bridge in the west that the "wessies" would use, and which it couldn't
have acccess to. More later.

Regards
LN