Subject: Re: Steinstuecken enclave in an exclave
Date: Dec 11, 2001 @ 19:06
Author: ps1966nl ("ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@h...> wrote:

> It's clear from the "before" map that is inset into the graphic I
> posted, that Steinstucken lost some slivers and the track bed
(slivers
> along the north road where the border takes a couple of short turns
> south before continuing westward along the street. I've stood here
> and have noted the border signs that were erected after the border
> change. One was right in the middle of the northernmost road at
the
> eastern end that goes into the DDR. It didn't seem to indicate the
> border turned in the road, it seemed to go north-south right across
> the whole road. I can't imagine, given the times and the detail
with
> which the access road was handled, that the DDR would have left a
> bridge in the west that the "wessies" would use, and which it
couldn't
> have acccess to. More later.

I'm not sure I follow, but I tell you what I think. I think that the
Stahnsdorfer Strasse, between the Teltower Strasse and the
Stahnsdorfer (=Rote) Bruecke was handed over at the same time as the
Waldweg (B. Beyer-Strasse between Steinstuecken and West Berlin) was
handed over. The access of the western part of the exclave was always
a difficult point, because the railway was in DR hands. And DR was a
GDR state company. The small bridge that was built later was not
suitable for vehicles (nowadays it doesn't exist anymore).

I think the bridge for the West Berliners, albeit on GDR territory,
isn't that strange. In those days, all sorts of compromises were
made, despite the cold war retorics (Lenne triangle is another
example). There might have been paid a lot of Deutschmarks to the
East Germans as well...

BTW: have a look on http://www.die-berliner-
mauer.de/discus/messages/2/2.html?Montagden10Dezember20010854 . I
suspect the one but last picture on http://www.die-berliner-
mauer.de/discus/messages/2/63.html shows the Stahnsdorfer Strasse
from the junction with the Teltower Strasse towards the west. I.e.
the spot of the "jig".

Peter S.