Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Steinstuecken enclave in an exclave
Date: Dec 11, 2001 @ 04:22
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Is someone in
>Germany who passes under the bridge that carries the Belgian railroad,
>actually in Belgium while he or she is under the tracks?

This is a good question. There is also a bridge over the tracks just below
Monschau station further north of your map. I would assume that like any
border, it starts at the centre of the earth and comes outwards to pierce
the earth's surface and head upwards to the limits of flight. Thus while the
railway was the raison d'etre for the peculiar border, bridges over the
tracks or tunnels beneath still pass through belgian territory.

Notice the
>Ruitzof "exclave" markers at B and C - is this really an exclave of
>Germany, or are there breaks in the border that mean the tracks are in
>Germany for short stretches?

no, the tracks are entirely in Belgium. Thus Ruithof is an exclave of
Germany, despite three rail bridges crossing the stream below.

Note also border point 656A (lower right
>of the map).

B & C refer to pillars 656B and 656C, as the pillar in the NE corner of the
enclave is 656D.

I don't understand what you are implying by noting B and C.

BW