Subject: dry pane &or dry pan & nysw & perhaps dry ohn
Date: Dec 09, 2001 @ 04:02
Author: michael donner (michael donner <orc@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

> From: PitHokie

>The marker, which looked like a gravestone, was hard
>to make out but indicated this was "territory ceeded
>to Pennsylvania" from New York--as the northern state
>line used to be completely straight from the Delaware
>River west to the Great Lakes.

yes everything west of the meridian now marked by this leaning 1885
monument was ceded by ny to the usa in 1781 & sold by geowash to pa in 1792
& originally marked by our old friend andrew ellicott in 1790 possibly by
means of a little marker you may have overlooked perhaps halfway to the
lakeshore from the leaner

& since 1681 pa has reached exactly 5 degrees west of the delaware at
philly so its original northern state line did indeed by 1787 just reach
lake erie around modern dry ohn before terminating

>Unforntunately I couldn't find any more markers
>between this one and the lake.

well but i think that old really possible ellicott rock is shown at the
corner corner & if not i can beam it up

>I found a worn, shapen
>stone on the rocky shore with rubar in it indicating
>it may have once been the border marker, but it was
>completely worn and unattached so there was no way to
>tell.
>Does anyone who's ever been here know if any marking
>exists? I took a picture of the basic spot but a
>weird drainage creek which curves right at the line
>made it difficult to pinpoint the spot.

basically youve got dry pane or dry pan class c here & tho it is probably
possible to make it class b nevertheless that would take a lot of patient
sighting & comparison of the 2 mentioned markers with the shoreline where
no marker has ever been found but i think you got the value here since it
is the weird creek that really gives the whole place its special character
& charm

& may i add that since this point could as fairly be called dry pan as dry
pane & since there is also another dry pane in pa that has no other name i
would like to call your dry pane only dry pan & reserve the name dry pane
for the other point
tho we will hopefully eventually also find cases where such confusion is
absolutely unavoidable

> Right
>next to the road is a small creek, and just over that
>was the typical small concrete marker with "PA" on one
>side and "NY" on the other, with a cross on top. I
>wonder why this type is used when it doesn't
>accurately reflect one corner, but implies four. The
>"N" of NY on the marker is technically in PA anyway!

i believe this marker is just one of the hundreds of the standard nypa
crosshairs type of milestone & roadstone but you are right that it is
inappropriate here because it wasnt really designed to mark a turnpoint

rather this rock may well have just been hailed into unforeseen service
when due to lack of preparation no truer rock was available in the hour of
truth to mark this unique spot on the line

a grosser example of the same fairly common sort of botch job is the
present ctmany tristate monument which is really just a nyma line stone &
doesnt even acknowledge ct