Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] nysw and pane report
Date: Dec 09, 2001 @ 02:28
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, PitHokie wrote:
> First I tried to locate land PAne--I didn't have a
> boat and GPS to go out to the middle of Lake Erie but
> thought I'd at least find something on-shore to
> indicate this point. Instead, I walked from the
> border on PA 5/NY 5 toward the lake, straddling a farm
> in PA and a trailer park in NY, where I found a huge
> marker about halfway between the road and the water.
> The marker, which looked like a gravestone, was hard
> to make out but indicated this was "territory ceeded
> to Pennsylvania" from New York--as the northern state
> line used to be completely straight from the Delaware
> River west to the Great Lakes. Oddly enough, the
> other side of the marker said it represented the
> "western end of Lake Ontario" in New York. Did Lake
> Erie used to be called Lake Ontario? If so, what did
> Ontario used to be called?

The western boundary of NY State is indeed fixed at the meridian or
longitude line that runs through the western end of current Lake Ontario
(near Hamilton, Ontario). I have not read why that was chosen. Look at a
map, go straight south from Hamilton, across land in Ontario and then
across Lake Erie, and it lines up with the western boundary of NY.

David