Subject: Re: the elusive frgbnl et al
Date: Dec 06, 2001 @ 23:29
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> however at this moment the biggest pea under all these mattresses &
> millenniums of messages & data seems to me to rest in the west indies
> between st martin & anguilla where equidistance alone should yield a
> probable frgbnl tricountry point well within 12nm of all 3 sovereign dry
> land areas according to grant in 3796 but which is evidently
foreclosed
> as martin may also have meant in 1773 by the strangely modest 3nm
claim gb
> makes for anguilla & many other british colonies even while claiming
a full
> 12nm for the uk itself & a few other colonies
> all also according to grant in 2422
Yahoo whimsically isn't allowing me to go to a specific numbered
message, agog though I am to recall whatever it was I said in 3796 and
2422.
But I'm confused now at the tripoint Prescott shows in his map of the
Caribbean, supposedly based on equidistance lines. A look at a decent
map of Saint Martin/Sint Maarten shows the west end of the land border
reaching the beach on a coast that faces stolidly SW. An equidistance
line should run in that direction too and, to my eye, tend to
*diverge* from the Anguilla /Saint Martin equidistance line. The line
Prescott maps runs *parallel* to the coast, and so hits the Anguilla /
Saint Martin border quite a short distance westwards of its dry beginning.
And there's more:
Prescott gives Anguilla *and* the Netherlands Antilles bare 3nm
territorial waters and no EEZ claims, while Guadeloupe claims
(predictably, according to Peter S.) the full 12nm/200nm. This year's
CIA Factbook gives Anguilla 3nm/200nm, Guadeloupe 12nm/200nm and
Netherlands Antilles 12nm/12nm.
I'm assuming that a 200nm EEZ based on Anguilla would necessarily
prevent 12nm territorial waters around Saint Martin/Sint Maarten
reaching as far as Anguilla's 3nm territorial waters - they would come
into conflict with the British EEZ.

Grant