Subject: New Zealand palindromes
Date: Dec 01, 2001 @ 16:08
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> Some years ago, I ran across a locality named Glenelg that would
> probably be in Southland, New Zealand.
Found it! I visited the Land Information New Zealand website, and
downloaded their placenames database. There are no fewer than 7
Glenelgs in New Zealand, all listed as "homesteads", which explains
their absence from GeoNet. The most southerly is in Southland, at 45 45 S.
But the same database confirms just plain Gog as the name of a hill at
47 11 S. LINZ seem to be pretty punctilious about placing feature
qualifiers after names, and so I would have to say, barring objections
from Michael, I'd now opt for Gog as our most southerly unqualified
palindrome.
I'm not sure how I feel about homesteads as sources of geographical
names - I guess any of the Glenelg "homesteads" might actually involve
a million sheep scattered over a larger area than Ososo estate in
Fiji, but there's something about the word that conjures up an image
of a shack with a hand-painted sign. Next stop is Michael in a pyramid
tent outside Amundsen-Scott base, setting up his Hall of Ollah and
claiming the southern extreme at the same time!

Grant