Subject: Re: Extreme westerly, easterly and southerly palindromes
Date: Dec 01, 2001 @ 10:05
Author: dtilque@nwlink.com (dtilque@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@b...>
wrote:

> A search for the southernmost unqualified palindrome turns up the
> town of Yutuy in Chile at 42 31 S. There are no contenders in
> Argentina or Australia, and the sub-Antarctic islands don't turn up
> any unqualified place names. GeoNet lists a mountain called
> simply "Gog" in New Zealand at 47 11 50 S, but I'm not sure this
> goes entirely unqualified - GeoNet frequently lists topographic
> features without qualifiers.

Some years ago, I ran across a locality named Glenelg that would
probably be in Southland, New Zealand. This was in a reference that
was fairly old (and I don't remember the name of it) because it gave
the county not the province. New Zealand used to have counties once
upon a time.

This Glenelg, if it still exists, would be further south than Yutuy,
Chile, and may or may not be further south than Mt. Gog.