Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Report from Vistytis
Date: Dec 01, 2001 @ 11:16
Author: Jan Krogh ("Jan Krogh" <jakro64@yahoo.no>)

From: Peter Smaardijk [mailto:smaardijk@yahoo.com]
Sent: 30. november 2001 20.19
--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jan Krogh" <jakro64@y...> wrote:
> Yesterday I visited Vistytis, a border town between Lithuania and
Russia's
> Kaliningrad district as we have discussed earlier in this
list.

Can you tell us what the situation is reg. the Lithuanian-Russian
border in Lake Vistytis? As far as I remember, Lithuania wanted an
equidistance border, but Russia wanted it all, so that the border
would run along the Lithuanian shore. Has an agreement been reached?
Or is it linked with the predicament this family is in?

According to the enclosed map picture (from the earlier mentioned map) Lithuania has got somewhat more of the lake than what they had during the Soviet occupation. The Soviet republic's border seems to at this area to be identical to the former German-Lithuanian border.
I think the Lithuanian delegation let down the demand of a equidistance border when they got sympathy from the Russian side on an adjustment of the border inside Vistytis town.

It is important to notice that after the coming border demarcation this street still will be divided between the Russia and Lithuania. But then Russian citizens will populate the Russian end and visa versa.

On Oct. 24th 1997 [not in 1999 as I earlier wrote by a mistake] the Lithuanian and the Russian delegations signed in Moscow a treaty on the Lithuanian - Russian border demarcation. This agreement was signed by the Lithuanian President on July 8th 1999, and ratificated by the Lithuanian parliament on Oct. 19th 1999. So far the Russian parliament has not yet ratificated this treaty, and the former Soviet republic border still excists.

According to the Lithuanian text of the describtion enclosed to the Oct. 24th 1997 agreement one can read the following (my shortened translation):

"From the Lithuanian-Russian-Polish tripoint (border point 1987) the Lithuanian-Russian border starts, and goes 0,6 km straight north-northwest towards point No. 1, at coordinates X=6028563; Y=4616421.
From point No. 1 the state border line goes 1,5 km straight northwest towards point No. 2 at coordinates X=6029669; Y=4615418, in the middle of a small forrest.
From point No. 2 it goes in the middle of a ditch northwest towards point No. 3, at the Vistytis lake's bank.
From point No. 3 the state border goes 6,5 km straight north-northwest through the lake until point No. 4, which is 1,3 [km] south from the Vistytis-Virbalis and Vistytis-Marivile road junction and at coordinates X=6036738; Y=4612776.
From point No. 4 is goes 2,5 km straight northwest until point No. 5, which is at Vistytis lake's bank, 0,15 km northeast from the Pisa river's bridge and 0,1 km sourthwest from the closest street junction of the town of Vistytis.