Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: cnkpru aka NKRuZh & nl
Date: Nov 30, 2001 @ 14:01
Author: Jon Amato (Jon Amato <jamato@...>)

It's about 4 hours drive-time from the CT-NY line to the DE-MD line on I-95,
even in the middle of the night. I've done that drive on many occasions,
driving from my parents' home in New York City to my home near Atlanta. The
NY and NJ sections comprise about 135 miles of severely congested, badly
rutted road - not to mention the tollbooths every 20 miles or so. You'd have
to be suicidal to do more than 70mph on that road. Also, to include the PA
section of I-95 involves a substantial detour through Philadelphia - it's
not the most direct route.

I'd venture that the RI-to NY trip (via CT,MA,NH,and VT) would be even
longer. That is also not really a direct route, circling around couple of
tripoints (CT-RI-MA, MA-VT-NH). If you're going to count that, then you
should also count the 15 seconds it would take to walk through Colorado, New
Mexico, Utah, and Arizona. :-)

The PA-MD-WV-VA, and FL-AL-MS-LA trips are pretty much straight-line,
staying on the same highway, and neither one comes anywhere near a tripoint.

I had never noticed the Vermont neck, before. I knew that the Connecticut
River formed the boundary between VT and NH, but it appears that Halls
Stream (a small tributary of the Connecticut) forms the NH - Quebec
boundary, about 3 km to the west. I wonder what the history is behind that?

Jon