Subject: Re: Another Büsingen map & those rules
Date: Nov 26, 2001 @ 18:07
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@h...> wrote:
> One has to ask about the purpose of a map, given what the results
are
> of these last messages about Busingen. It seems a border stone on
the
> south side of a road marks a point in the middle of a road. If a
map
> is to show physical characteristics of a site, then the actual
> placement of the border stone is what should be shown - but if the
> border it represents is in the middle of a road, then the border
> shown on a map should not merely be a "connect the dots"
exercize...
> the border should be shown slightly north of the marker... unless
of
> course you choose the metal plate in the street and not the stone
> marker as the item to show on the map... or maybe one should show
> both.

Hear, hear. Rule one I can live with. You can't expect locals to know
everything about the place they live in. Rules no. 2 and 3
(inaccurate maps & markers) are inexcusable. Of course, with maps,
scale is always an issue, but when scale allows accuracy, a map
should be accurate. Period.

Peter S.