Subject: Re: Vertical Sovereignty.
Date: Nov 26, 2001 @ 17:55
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Ray Milefsky" <mrrayj@p...> wrote:
> In the 1920s the World Court settled a mining dispute between the
> Netherlands and Germany whereby the stream boundary, which followed
the
> meandering thalweg, did not apply to the underground boundary,
which was
> based on a greatly simplified median line

Is this the Worm/Wurm river, by any chance? I know that there were
problems with piles of rock coming from the coal mines, that were
altering the course of this boundary river because of the landslides
they were causing. But presumably, there were also problems below the
surface.

> I am most interested in the book you cite. Is it still commercially
> available (I can read Dutch).

Probably not, but you can always try. The ISBN is 90 70 427 850. The
Publishers are Kempen Pers B.V.

One of the writers (Paul Spapens) is also a co-writer of a very
informative book on the practice of illegally distilling alcohol in
the Netherlands and Belgium (I believe the proper English word
is "moonshining"). He clearly has a very keen interest in anything
connected with customs (customs have the task of collecting excise
duties on alcohol in the Netherlands).

And another thing: the book is very informative, but not particularly
well written, and sometimes I doubt (although this is intuitive) its
scientific reliability. The list of sources is impressive, but not
categorised at all, i.e. I don't know which bit in the book comes
from where.

Peter S.