Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Capitals vs. Borders
Date: Nov 24, 2001 @ 00:44
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

"The reason for this peculiar deviation from a straight boundary, known as
the "Southwick jog," is that in adjusting errors in the boundary line
beteen Connecticut and Massachusetts as previously run by compass, a long,
narrow strip of land was given to Connecticut; the southwick jog ceded to
Massachusetts was intended to be an equivalent are."

Van Zandt, p. 69. Van Zandt is citing Bowen, 1882, p. 65.

David