Subject: Re: Hawar Islands-Info request / Tuvalu
Date: Nov 22, 2001 @ 11:55
Author: anton_zeilinger@hotmail.com (anton_zeilinger@...)

On a different note, what if borders or even countries disappear
because of the RISING sea level?
This is apparently a real problem, see the Earth Policy Institute at

http://earth-policy.org/Updates/Update2.htm

The country of Tuvalu is being evacuated. Apart from the human
tragedy of having to abandon your country I'm wondering about legal
and political implications:
Will Tuvalu keep its sovereignty over its territorial waters, even
when all the islands are gone? Will it have a status similar to the
Order of Malta: citizens w/ passports, embassies, but no land?

I don't believe anything even remotely similar has happened before.

greetings,
Anton Z.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., orc@o... wrote:
> it strikes me as almost inconceivable that any of our present
international boundaries

> of which few to none are more than about 7 centuries old
>
> & most are scarcely 1 century old
>
> could survive until the next glaciation
>

> i can however imagine some to many of them surviving the present
phase of global warming

> & thus projecting maritime boundary termini inland
>
> so to say
>
> for they would of course always remain perfectly wet
>

> but please anton
>
> how can you even be curious about what might happen to our existing
boundaries myriads & chiliads of years from now

> idle curiosity i could understand
>
> but this is freakin otiose

> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Anton Sherwood <bronto@p...> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how many sea boundaries would creep onto land (other
than at

> > their endpoints, i mean) if the sea drops in an ice age. It
seems to me

> > that for most purposes you'd want the boundary to be in the
deepest

> > water: so that future big ships can navigate in either state, and
so

> > that the shallow water (most useful for aquaculture) is neatly
divided.

> > If I were asked to draw a boundary at sea, and if I had good
information

> > about the shape of the seafloor, I'd imagine that the sea has
gone dry

> > and a river flows down from the land boundary; let that river be
the sea

> > boundary. Where that solution is inadequate -- e.g. Bahrain --
drop the

> > sea until the two landmasses `kiss', and then run rivers down
each side

> > from that saddle point.
>

> > (One flaw in this `solution' is that the boundaries of The
Gambia, for