Subject: US counties, unincorprated territories
Date: Nov 06, 2001 @ 17:38
Author: PitHokie (PitHokie <pithokie@...>)

Very interesting. In the United States, states handle
unincorporated areas differently. For 49 of the 50,
land is divided into counties (shires). In places
like Pennsylvania and some other colonial states, land
was further split into townships as a way of governing
all territory within. Inside these are cities and
other incorporated and non-incorporated types
(municipalities, towns, villages, boroughs). Some
states, however, like Indiana, have areas which are
just considered county land and are governed by the
county. In most states cities and counties overlap;
counties provide some basic services while the city
will do others. The weird exception is Virginia,
where when one enters a town or city (incorporated),
they actually leave the county! So technically, a
city like Roanoke, which is completely surrounded by
Roanoke County, is technically an enclave.

I cant think of any area of land in the US that is
unincorporated by not governed by some body, like
those you've mentioned in Australia.