Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: What is an enclave
Date: Nov 05, 2001 @ 18:52
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

I was surprised by an apparent inconsistency of two of Brandon's recent
opinions about enclaves. He stated that to be an enclave a fragment of
territory must be surrounded by 'foreign' territory, but earlier claimed
that Culver City was an enclave. Since Culver City shares boundaries with
two other territories, I thought he was being inconsistent. But if
"surrounded" is taken to NOT mean "immediately surrounded" then Culver
City could still meet the definition of an enclave. But if we take enclave
to require "immediately surrounded by a single foreign territory", then
Culver City would not be an enclave. To use a more familiar international
example-- is Lesotho split into two countries, would they both still be
enclaves within South Africa, or would neither be an enclave since now
each has two neighboring countries?

David