Subject: Re: What is an enclave
Date: Nov 05, 2001 @ 18:09
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

It's a bit of an eternal discussion here. I understand Brendans
arguments completely, and respect them, but I still differ. The
exclave is landlocked for sure, but acc. to my opinion, Nakhichevan
is an exclave to Azerbaijan, because it is detached from the homeland
by foreign territory. Whose territory is irrelevant here.

According to me!

Peter S.

PS: Yes, I agree that the words enclave and exclave are used very
loosely, and too loosely, by "the media". But then again, who is
that? Isn't it just that the meaning of the words are gradually
shifting? (A tip (money for the waiter) is called "pourboire" in
French, and "Trinkgeld" in German. But I wonder whether all waiters
will spend their tips exclusively on booze.;-)) Me too, I don't like
it. But I can't stop it, I'm afraid.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:

> >Brendan Whyte wrote:
> > > An exclave is a special type of fragment, one that is surrounded
> > > by one other unit. It must be landlocked too.
> >
> >Well, that definition is not universally accepted:
> >the American Heritage Dictionary illustrates "exclave" with
Cabinda.