Subject: Re: Westernmost Dutch spot
Date: Nov 01, 2001 @ 20:24
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Harry, you are, of course, right: our kingdom consists of the
Netherlands in Europe, the Netherlands Antilles, and Aruba. These
three entities can considered to be three different countries. But
together they _are_ the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

The situation of the French Antilles, however, is entirely different:
they definitely are part of France. Martinique and Guadeloupe are two
French departements with a status no different from any other
departement in metropolitan France. This has as a consequence that
the Neth. Antilles and Aruba are not part of the European Union, but
the French Antilles definitely are. Which is not always liked by the
Dutch Antilleans when it comes to exporting their products to the
Eur. Union.

By the way, if we consider nlw and nls to be located in the Neth.
Antilles, how about the highest Dutch mountain?

Yes, it is Mount Scenery, an old volcano, and making up all of the
island of Saba. 870 m is a bit higher than the Vaalserberg, don't you
agree?

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Harry ten Veen" <pa8km@a...> wrote:
> No,
> I tend to follow the Radio-amateurs entity list.
> The Netherlands Antilles are two entities; leeward and windward. Of
course they belong/are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

> Aruba is also an entity, as it has the Status Aparte.
>
> When you visit that westernmost point, I suggest you also visit our
French neighbour!