Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: re recent dc & pr questions
Date: Oct 20, 2001 @ 19:32
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

>From: "Grant >Michael:
> > anyway the great importance of this odd info for punctology is that
>the most
> > recently discovered pair of united states marine tripoints
> > prusvin & prusvis
> > will fall not equidistantly but considerably closer to the virgin
>islands
> > than to puerto rico
>
>Woops, I must have missed that thread (a symptom of my drop-in-and-
>browse link to this group, sorry).
>I'm just compiling a list of country borders at the 192(3)-country,
>200nm EEZ level, so I get a bit gripped about lines of equidistance.
>Are we talking Puerto Rico/USA/US Virgin Is. tripoints here? And if
>so, where? And does it necessarily follow that the bigger claim
>pushes the border back, as you seem to be suggesting?
>Or do I have a hold of the other end of a completely different stick?

not to worry
yes
wonderful
this is right on

it appears there is no definitive usgovt mapping to settle all this
but the laws do specify 9nm & 3nm as mentioned
& both these distances are of course embraced within the 12nm of usa
territorial waters
so we have btw identified not just these 2 prusvin & prusvis points but a
total of 20 marine trifederative points to go with the 65 more obvious &
commonly recognized multifederative points of the usa
for a grand total of 85 secondary multipoints
breathless

i didnt mean to suggest & dont know whether a bigger claim actually pushes a
border back
but if the distance between the dry land of the virgin islands & puerto rico
is more than 6nm but less than 12nm
as i seem to recall it is
then the 3nm of the virgin seas will not be increased to the point of
equidistance
while puerto rico seas will reach out more than 3nm
as they do everywhere they can

& that is all i would venture to guess at this point
& for these points

usgs mapping seems to get it wrong at alflus
at least
by not allowing fl to wrap around al
but doesnt show latxus or either prusvi point

>And BTW if anyone out there can shed light on the out-of-focus
>equidistance quadripoint between Puerto Rico, US Virgins, Anguilla
>and the northern bit of the Netherlands Antilles, I'd be very
>grateful. On Prescott's map the lines of equidistance converge to a
>quadripoint, but that surely isn't the case on the ground/sea.

i think at this point it is technically impossible to speak in terms of any
prvi multipoint other than prusvin & prusvis because the usa territorial sea
surrounds both pr & vi in a single bubble

a gbnlus tripoint there perhaps