Subject: Re: More on Aves Island
Date: Aug 31, 2001 @ 18:57
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> Yep, the borders with the US, French and Dutch dependencies are all
> defined by treaty. None of the others are.
By this I meant the borders around Aves itself - Venezuela has other
maritime treaty boundaries elsewhere in its territory.

I've just found a 16th boundary segment - Venezuela has a two
maritime boundaries with the Dominican Rep, one where you might
expect it, next to Colombia, and another very short segment, defined
by treaty, between the southern Netherlands Antilles boundary and the
Puerto Rican boundary (both also defined by treaty).

Prescott, interestingly, says "There can be no question that Aves is
an island and not a rock ..." Britannica puts its height above sea
level at 4.5m, a tad higher than Harry's radio amateur page and
describes it implausibly as a coral-covered sandbank (maybe lumps of
tidally deposited broken coral?). The little glimpse of greeny brown
in on of the photos on the radio page is presumably a growth of
purslane, with which Prescott says the island is "covered". (Purslane
is a low succulent herb used in salads, it says here.)

Grant