Subject: Re: More on Aves Island
Date: Aug 31, 2001 @ 22:43
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> also grant
> since you have this ability
> may i have a free question
>
> doesnt the st martin frnl line produce an equidistance tripoint at
under
> 24nm from its near neighbor

My map isn't fine enough to give a precise distance (I'm working from
Prescott, of which/whom I'll try to produce a scan next week), but
20nm or so seems right. Saints Martin and Bartholomew form a little
exclave of the French exclave Gaudeloupe; bordered by Anguilla,
Antigua & Barbuda, St Kitts & Nevis and (of course) the Netherlands
Antilles. The tripoint with Anguilla is tight inshore, as you say.

Hmmm. I've missed and unwittingly revisited several things in this
group already. But nothing daunted ... do we have a name for an
exclave *of* an exclave?
No dry land examples, for sure, but at the EEZ level (what else?) the
top of my head offers (in addition to the Gaudeloupe example above):
Bassas da India + Ile Europa + Juan de Nova (Reunion [France]); Iles
Glorieuses (Reunion [France]); Ile Clipperton (French Polynesia
[France]); Ascension (St Helena [UK]); Tristan Group (St Helena [UK]).
Ile Tromelin is also a Reunion dependency, but its EEZ merges with
Reunion's.
Do any other countries but Britain (definitely) and France (I think)
acknowledge such sub-let dependencies?

Grant