Subject: Re: Kerguelen and McDonald/Heard _do_ border, EEZ-wise!
Date: Aug 20, 2001 @ 19:47
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@c...>
wrote:
> Peter:
> > As a matter of fact, we
> > started industry at Spitsbergen, in the early 17th century
> > (Smeerenburg whale blubber plants on Amsterdam island, just off
the
> > N.W. coast of West Spitsbergen).
> I've been there! The bases of the old vats used to render the whale
> oil are still visible. (In fact, I travelled with a Dutch company
> called Plancius, named after your cartographer. I get the
impression
> that Dutch folk haven't forgotten their Arctic history the way the
> British have.)

Impressive! Was this the expedition with Louwrens Hacquebord? He
travelled on a ship named after Plancius. I've got a book about this
expedition. I am very interested in the old whaling trade, and have
lots of books about it...

> > Apart from that, we used to have a
> > coal mine on West Spitsbergen. The Russians still do.
> Same mine? The Russian town is called Barentsburg, which hints at
the
> original residents ...
> It's a terribly bleak place.

As far as I recollect (but I'm not sure), the Russians had mines in
Barentsburg and Pyramiden, but the latter one is closed now. The
Barentsburg one was the Dutch one.

Peter S.