Subject: Re: Kerguelen and McDonald/Heard _do_ border, EEZ-wise!
Date: Aug 18, 2001 @ 00:51
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Peter:
> As a matter of fact, we
> started industry at Spitsbergen, in the early 17th century
> (Smeerenburg whale blubber plants on Amsterdam island, just off the
> N.W. coast of West Spitsbergen).
I've been there! The bases of the old vats used to render the whale
oil are still visible. (In fact, I travelled with a Dutch company
called Plancius, named after your cartographer. I get the impression
that Dutch folk haven't forgotten their Arctic history the way the
British have.)

> Apart from that, we used to have a
> coal mine on West Spitsbergen. The Russians still do.
Same mine? The Russian town is called Barentsburg, which hints at the
original residents ...
It's a terribly bleak place.

Grant