Subject: Re: Kerguelen and McDonald/Heard _do_ border, EEZ-wise!
Date: Aug 17, 2001 @ 22:38
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@c...>
wrote:
> The rectangle surrounding Svalbard dates from 1920, when Norway was
> assigned "full sovereignty" over all islands "great or small and
> rocks appertaining thereto" between meridians 10 to 35 east and
> parallels 74 to 81 north. An improbable 49 states, including
Russia,
> have now signed up to this – the reason being that the treaty
allows
> signatories to hunt and fish within that area, as well as promising
> equality of access for mining and industry (shudder).

Yes, the Dutch are part of this as well. As a matter of fact, we
started industry at Spitsbergen, in the early 17th century
(Smeerenburg whale blubber plants on Amsterdam island, just off the
N.W. coast of West Spitsbergen). Apart from that, we used to have a
coal mine on West Spitsbergen. The Russians still do.

> I didn't know about a Seychelles rectangle. Do you maybe mean the
one
> around the Maldives?

Of course, a case of my typing being faster than my checking again.
Let me put in a sorry here for the next 50 blunders to go...

Peter S.