Subject: Re: markers on river banks
Date: Aug 01, 2001 @ 21:20
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I've seen this zigzag thing before in a German street atlas (a
municipal boundary in the Falk Berlin one), and suspect (although
this is a bit of a wild guess) that it is the result of the fact that
the paper map is based on a digital file, that can't depict two
segments (linear features) that are exactly on top of one another
(like in this case a road and a boundary). If this situation is the
real one, it should be described in detail in the boundary treaty. I
doubt this is the case, to be frank. I don't see the point of it...

But I have been wrong before.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:
> Placing of an indirect marker is also done in Denmark, still with a
plate on the road. Example at my site:
http://www.geocities.com/graenser/rudboel8.html

> But was is Peter H's map showing the zig zag rather than a middle
line?

> Jesper

puzzles me
> are the boundary markers along the delu condominial rivers.
They make
> less sense to me, because the condominium boundary can
easily be
> marked at the exact location of the boundary. Maybe they
are a bit
> further up the river bank to protect them from flooding?
But in that
> case they could have been placed higher up still, because
where they
> are standing now they are not secure, too.
>
> BTW: Wolfgang mentions exactly the same purpose for these
markers as
> you do: "indirekte Vermarkung, auch Abzielsteine" (see

> l.doc ).
>
> The "neutral roads" along denl are a bit like rivers, too,
with the
> boundary marker pairs on both side of them. I think in
these cases

wrote:

> > Hi Everyone,
> > Some of the recent discussions on markers along the banks
of border
> rivers
> > has intrigued me. I'm not sure about why they are located
along
> some rivers
> > in Europe, but along US-Canada riverine borders, border
markers are
> located
> > along the riverfronts. They are erected and maintained by
the
> International
> > Boundary Commission. Maybe the best example is the
Detroit River
> between
> > Michigan and Ontario. The purpose of these 'border
markers' is not
> to mark
> > the precise location, but instead to serve as reference
points that
> can
> > assist surveyors in finding the exact border in the
river. Maybe

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - Click Here
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.