Subject: & cdcfsd concludes the central african republic
Date: Oct 16, 2006 @ 23:26
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

so we come again to my personal favorite tripoint
& likely the grandest tripoint marker in the entire
world class
which was pictured & fully explained here at bp just
last year
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.culture.discuss.boundary-point/8329
& presumably ascertained to be located at
> n lat 5d 01m 10s
> e long 27d 26m 37s
per brownlie & all 3 ibs studies
ever since message 1061

& the pushpin already has this exact geoposition
perfectly nailed

however
i was not able to find the 5 meter protuberance
produced by the huge marker at or anywhere near the
specified location
on google earth

& the official map reproduced by the ibs indicates a
substantially different position
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/maps/bs16b.html
for what it calls the meeting point of the 3 frontiers
& depicts at lower right

namely something very much more like
n lat 5d 01m 00s & e long 27d 26m 08s

so it is possible that the best known & oft cited
geocoords reflect a clerical error that keeps getting
repeated
or else that the monument was subsequently erected
some distance from the position that was specified
earlier in the treaty

but since i cant find the 5 meter protuberance
anywhere near the mapped position either
nor anywhere else in the general neighborhood for that
matter
at google earth
i cant offer an alternative guess

hence no tripoint stretcher attachment is warranted
but just a vague notion of some possible screwup
somewhere
& a suggestion that the question shouldnt be
completely closed yet

but be that as it may
we now need to double back again to chad to pick up
her northern half
which is to say
her 3 remaining noncamerounian
noncentralafricanrepublican tripoints