Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: stretching the quest for a real stretchable latex tripoint to stretch
Date: Sep 24, 2006 @ 19:49
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <lgm@...>)

I found my notional tripoint south of the airport by using a one-foot
ruler and a map on which Bayou Pierre Lake and the 32° x 94° confluence
are eleven inches apart. I then found the Sabine-Red drainage divide
along the ruler. How near the notional tripoint lands to the airport,
though, depends on the precise termini of the northern geodesic of the
Neutral Ground [NG]. Let's see if we can refine those termini. In
doing so, we must realize that the descriptions that we have are more in
the way of allocation than of delimitation.

Haggard's rendering of General Salcedo's description of the eastern
terminus reads: "...along this bayou to the west bank of Bayou Pierre
Lake at Bayou Pierre settlement." Since the BP settlement was an extant
community, and inhabitation of the NG was to be prohibited, the clear
intent is that the NG would extend up the bayou to the BP settlement but
would not include it. Indeed, the BP settlers stayed put through the
era of the NG, and the joint US-Spanish military expedition designed to
rid the NG of illegal settlers did not molest them. So, wherever we
eventually decide the BP settlement was, the terminus must be just
downstream of it. I have some clues as to the settlement's location,
but those require additional digging before they are ready for prime
time. Stay tuned.

Haggard's description of the geodesic and its western terminus, which he
attributes to Davenport, is thus: "The northern boundary of the Neutral
Ground was a straight line running in a southwesterly [southwestward]
direction from the Bayou Pierre settlement to a point crossed by the
thirty-second parallel of north latitude and the intersection of the
ninety-fourth degree line of longitude and the Sabine River." I knew
all along that the parallel, the meridian, and the river did not meet at
a single point. That would be near impossible. As your rude awakening
showed, these three lines intersect at three distinct points within a
two-mile radius. Since the wording does not admit of perfect
reconciliation, we must do the best we can. The most obvious choice is
to use the degree confluence point (
http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=32&lon=-94 ) and then
stitch to the river by prolongation along the same bearing. There might
be other solutions, such as using a point mathematically intermediate
between the three points, then a stitch to the nearest point on the
river.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA