Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] yikes kztmuz is reportedly undelineated & definitely elusive
Date: Sep 03, 2006 @ 17:16
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

not sure about the etymology nor the degree of
generality
but chink is evidently at least the local probably
kazak or russian name for any edge of this crumbly
ustyurt plateau of which this kaplankyr spur is a part
& the word is sometimes translated as
abrupt seashore
or abrupt border

here is a picture of a nearby but probably different
chink
with a resident skink i think
http://www.atyrau-city.kz/KCS/Book1/012.jpg
or perhaps it is the same chink but a different spur
named mangystau in this case
but in any case a few hundred km to the northwest of
kztmuz
& in fact at the opposite shoulder of the same plateau

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/mapcenter/map.aspx?TextLatitude=39.45&TextLongitude=-98.907&TextAltitude=0&TextSelectedEntity=39070&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Comprehensive&MapSize=Medium&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=mangystau&MapStylesList=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on

what astonished or perhaps rather amused me so much
about this claim of a nondelineated tripoint was
first
tripoints arent supposed to be delineated because they
arent linear
& second
this particular one appears to lie at the convergence
of 3 perfectly geodetic border line segments
all of them seemingly very clearly delimited since
soviet times & now reportedly fully delineated if not
also demarcated

but now that you mention it
crumbly vertical ground can present a special problem
for monumentation
& perhaps it is only this that our possibly
misinformed or careless informant had in mind
if anything

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.307729,55.994568&spn=0.089619,0.159645&t=k

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/08/295991D6-AB19-4C80-93B4-A5859F110120.html

http://www.newscentralasia.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=638

http://www.newscentralasia.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1059

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/mapcenter/map.aspx?TextLatitude=38.3893924187585&TextLongitude=39.4382328526111&TextAltitude=8&TextSelectedEntity=9241499&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Comprehensive&MapSize=Medium&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=ustyurt&MapStylesList=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on&ResultsListbox=38.3893924187585%3B39.4382328526111%3B8%3B9241499%3BHazar+%5BKavak%5D%2C+Elaz??%2C+Turkey%3BMedium%3BComprehensive

http://enrin.grida.no/biodiv/biodiv/national/turkmen/htmfiles/mapres.htm