Subject: still no photo but fine art is found of virgin caus birth tripoint
Date: Aug 02, 2006 @ 17:39
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

probably few members will recall this observation from
message 9636
regarding the state of play of the first point ever
marked on caus

aka 1797caus2menb3arcayo2006

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "m donner"
<maxivan82@...> wrote:

> according to
> http://home.earthlink.net/~dawise/Maine.htm
> the oldest known extant caus monument dates from
1817
> but it was a replacement for a 1798 original
> which was itself the first monument on the caus line
> or rather on what was then the gbus line
>
> the position marked by these stones
> at the source of the st croix river
> or roughly halfway up the maine new brunswick
boundary
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=5088360&e=594329&size=l&datum=nad83

> as can be seen there
> the extant stone also marks the aroostook carlton
york tricounty point
> as well as the trimunicipal point formed by amity
township & north lake &
> richmond parishes
> at a single multi distinguished position thus named
> caus2menb3arcayo4amnori
> tho the ibc calls it simply monument number 1
>
> & no pix as she is a virgin

but today
at last & at least
besides learning that the lost supposedly 1798
supposed rock was most likely mistaken for or preceded
by a forgotten 1797 iron hoop
we can feast our eyes on a fine 1831 lithograph very
probably showing both or all of the several original
markers
http://www.familyheritage.ca/Images/NBGallery/Joseph%20Bouchette%201817%20boundary%20marker.jpg

more info is in the caption for the 16th item in this
staggering trove
http://www.familyheritage.ca/newbrunswick.html

& thats the new state of play for this baby