Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] My visit to Campione d'Italia
Date: Jul 31, 2006 @ 19:35
Author: Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@...>)

I have edited the text, and made insertions below:

> I would think the latter, if that is actually the
> dry brook bottom,
> which is hard to determine. As you know,
> photographic perspective can
> be deceptive on a steeep slope. It seems consistent
> that the buried
> Swiss pipe ends before striking Italy. What is that
> just below the end
> of the pipe and the piece of log holding it? Is it
> the edge of a plank
> or international footbridge across the brook--a part
> of the trail shown
> on the map?

Yes, I agree. The tripoint is most likely at
the brook bottom. Yes, the plank is part of an
international footbridge.

Below is the italian text from
http://www.globalgeografia.com/italia/campione_italia_tab1.htm

#14:
Targa sulla retta 14-V1 (?). Per la linea di confine
fa fede il cippo. Il confine prosegue in linea retta
lungo la direzione 13B-14 fino all'asse della Valle
della Punta

#V1:
Non demarcato e senza numero progressivo. Il confine
prosegue piegando in linea retta verso occidente per
raggiungere il punto d'incontro degli assi dei due
valloncelli a monte della Valle della Punta. Da questo
punto il confine segue l'asse della valle sino al 14A.

I believe the text above says that the border
continues along the line 13B-14 until it hits the
brook, which intersection defines the unmarked point
V1.

Please also note that there are several points and
markers along the brook between 14 and the 15s.

> Certainly rock 14 would be on it, and it seems that
> the red sign would
> be too.

The red sign may or may not be placed on the border.
It is my experience that the red signposts were placed
in the general neighbourhood of the stones, close to
but not necessarily on the very border.

See for example
http://campione.enclaves.org/image/124-2468_img.jpg
where the red signpost is clearly within CH.

> > & so the smaller stone may thus mark the arbi
> brook
> > bottom diagonally or even indirectly
> > rather than orthogonally & directly
> > inasmuch as there do appear to be 1 or 2 other as
> yet
> > unexplained stone markers in this pic too
>
> I agree. The "B" rock does not seem to be in the
> brook bottom. Also,
> the "B" does not face the right direction for it to
> be a bilateral
> boundary monument. If it is a unilateral Bissone
> marker, then the
> squarish rock directly above rock 14 and to the left
> of the red post
> could be the corresponding Arogno marker.

Yes, this is not unlikey. See
http://www.globalgeografia.com/italia/img/campione_fig05b.jpg
The square stone may be the one marked 574.2, which,
incidentally, could not be the elevation, at least not
in meters, since it is quoted at 548 meters in
http://www.globalgeografia.com/italia/campione_italia_tab1.htm

[..cut..]

> >> We thought that rock 14 was the southeast corner
> of
> >> Campione, but the
> >> treaty says different. This explains the curious
> >> markings on its top.
> >> The dimple is on the long leg of the L, not at
> its
> >> corner. This
> >> indicates that the boundary runs on a ways before
> >> making the turn, just
> >> as the treaty says.

Yes, it does, doesn't it?

Don't miss the Campione border walk at
http://south-african-diaspora-solutions.com/border-of-campione.html

Also, I have two pictures of the 14-area from my
good friend Vito la Colla. Please don't copy
and/or republish them.

http://campione.enclaves.org/image/N14A.png
http://campione.enclaves.org/image/N14B.png

Yours,