Subject: Re: Tricorner Knob
Date: May 18, 2006 @ 15:15
Author: spookymike@aol.com (spookymike@...)

Here's a link to a report of a Tricorner Knob summit ascent:
http://www.mountainzone.com/weekendjournal/html/smokies_2.html

And an excerpt from the report:

<<<I arrived at the Tricorner Knob Shelter too early to start dinner and with energy to spare. I recruited two guys I met there, Luke and Tim, to join me on an excursion to the summit of Tricorner Knob. The off trail terrain started simply, but the briars and brambles closed in. It was a 15-minute bushwhack through some very thick brush with nearly 300 feet of vertical gain. Because it was labeled a 'knob' and not a 'bald' I should have known better. We finally reached the top, and there was no view to be had. A cluster of spruce trees were at their thickest right at the summit. But we did discover why it was called Tricorner Knob. There were three distinct corners, about 10 feet from each other, making up the summit plateau.>>>

This is not an unusual situation in that area.  County highpointers often make the trek along the A.T. to do Old Black and Guyot, both county highpoints, and have to do the short but intense bushwhacks off the trail to reach the two summits.  Now and then some kind, if misguided soul machetes a path thru the brambles, but Mother Nature soon reclaims her space.

Mike Schwartz