Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Kentucky Corner (AKA KY SE)
Date: Apr 05, 2006 @ 02:05
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

thanx
neat
that pretty much answers everything

& i am fairly well satisfied now too that the marker
you found atop the boulder either dates from or is a
later recapping of the point of beginning of the
original walker & henderson line of 1779
which is the vanc westward extension survey that was
made even before ky & tn existed

the fact that this marker is maybe 50 yards west of
the true ridge line is probably owing to the
prominence of its boulder within the general
neighborhood even if it does stand noticeably beside
the exact ridge backbone

& it makes sense that the subsequent national park
boundary would incorporate the marker rather than only
the unmarked kyse point
to form what appears to be a sort of kytnus or kytn
nps tripoint
as is shown a bit more readably here than on the usgs
topo
http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/cuga/ppMaps/CUGAmap1%2Epdf

about the peculiar zigging & zagging tendency of vanc
& kytn off their nominal 36d30m latitude position
especially in this area
bus&ss indicates as follows

there are many angles & offsets in the kytn & vanc
line east of the tennessee river that can scarcely be
attributed to errors in surveying

it seems however that the commissioners who first ran
the lines were allowed to change them at their mutual
discretion
& consequently they ran them on an irregular course to
accommodate influential inhabitants along the boundary
who desired to remain in one state or the other

or in other words your lovely ridge walk from kytnva
to kyse was probably the result of schmoozing & or
payola

a practically identical offset occurs between nctnva &
tnne

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/0403GWXmulberry.html