Subject: Re: Kentucky Corner (AKA KY SE)
Date: Apr 04, 2006 @ 23:56
Author: spookymike@aol.com (spookymike@...)

So, the identity of state "YV" is a mystery?  That's stone-fingers for "TN," as surmised.

I have no clue what the other line that runs into KY Corner marker from the NW actually bounds.
We stupidly did not have a copy of the USGS data sheet for the KY Corner marker, which would have told us to look atop the boulder for the primary marker, plus in several other places for reference/azimuth markers and other interesting marks, such as an inscription on the boulder, all of which we missed, excepting the corner marker.  I really need to revisit, and see how many other markers are still in place.  It's a great hike, passing KYTNVA en route, then following the ridge, with views all the way, until the corner.  The marker itself had so much patina, crud, or whatever on it that my buddy had to gently scrape off all the gunk with a small penknife to allow us to read the inscriptions.  It must be visited very rarely.

The link for the USGS data sheet:  http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_radius.prl
When the site loads, enter coordinates N363457 and W0834128.  Then select the Kentucky Corner Reset.  The data sheet describes three reference markers and an inscription on the side of the large boulder, none of which we found, but might have, had we known to look.

The marker is definitely west of the true corner, at least as shown on the map, which is apparently an unmarked spot on the ridge crest, a short stroll east from the boulder.

Mike S.

In a message dated 4/4/06 4:38:22 PM, BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com writes:

> > Message: 10
> > >    Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:11:56 -0700 (PDT)
> > >    From: aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>
> > > Subject: but yikes is this a ga3bagwhaja
> > quadricounty island
> > >

> http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/0403GWXmulberry.html
> > >

> http://topozone.com/map.asp?
z=17&n=3779871&e=240142&s=25&size=l&datum=nad83&
> > > layer=DRG25
> > >

> > Mike:   I have a good buddy who lives in Smyrna, GA.
> >   He's primarily a
> > highpointer, but also has got the BP bug.   He and I
> > visited Kentucky Corner SW of
> > KYYVVA along the ridge trail, and found the elusive
> > marker atop a ten foot
> > high boulder.   I'll sicc him on the 4point and try
> > to get some on site info for
> > the group.
> >
> > Mike S.
>
> great
>
> i am both awed & puzzled by this kentucky corner &
> kyyvva tho
>
> can you elucidate them further

aha i seem to have partly figured it out in my dreams

you must mean kytnva
& the east end of the kentucky south line

curiously the usgs topo shows a marked tripoint just a hair west of there
but i cant figure out what it is the tripoint of
if not just the cumberland gap national park & kytn state line

asking topozone for tiprell & panning west gets you there
& it is marked kentucky corner all right
yet the actual kentucky corner doesnt appear to be where the kentucky corner marker is

can you clear this up any