Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] mx2cmqryu dispute flares again but crazier than ever
Date: Mar 06, 2006 @ 18:57
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <lgm@...>)

Thanks for this juicy morsel of news on one of the most complex and baffling
boundary situations in North America! I have reviewed your and my old posts on
this issue, and I've dug out some new material.

First, I want to point you to the maps of Campeche and Quintana Roo from the
Mexican federal government's new 2006 ATLAS POR ENTIDAD FEDERATIVA, which can be
downloaded (along with all other states and the Distrito Federal) as huge PDF's
at http://dgp.sct.gob.mx/index.php?id=440 . This is the best and most
up-to-date series of Mexican maps of which I know anywhere on the web.

The maps of Campeche ( http://dgp.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/Atlas/campeche.pdf ) and
Quintana Roo ( http://dgp.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/Atlas/qroo.pdf ) from this series
are in agreement, in that they show the disputed area between them crosshatched
in red. The explanation on the Campeche map says, "Los límites estatales de
Quintana Roo y Campeche están por definirlos la Suprema Corte de Justícia [sic]
de la Nación." The Quintana Roo map explains, "Los límites estatales de
Quintana Roo y Campeche están por definirlos la Suprema Corte de Justicia Que se
encuentran en Litigio." Both maps show the competing vertex locations as "Put"
and "Nuevo Put." The Yucatán map shows that state's southern vertex at Put and
the zone crosshatched elsewhere as in Campeche (giving us what would be a
martini glass with bent stem if the map went far enough south).

Some among us will be interested to know that the Campeche map shows a monument
at or near BZGTMX labeled "MONUMENTO 107 (VERTICE AGUAS TURBIAS)," where the
traditional survey of GTMX terminates. The most astounding thing is that the
map of Quintana Roo labels the eastern line of the crosshatched zone (and thus
the boundary as claimed by Campeche) as "MERIDANO DE GARBUTT" as if its location
were derivative from Garbutt's Falls on the Belize River on BZGT rather than the
disputed location of the ruins of Rancho Put. I kid you not! I don't know what
to read into that.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA