Subject: Re: somaliland puntland thaw advances a breakaway tripoint but where exactly
Date: Jan 23, 2006 @ 16:21
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

hmm & when exactly too
http://www.pinr.com/report.php?ac=view_report&report_id=425&language_id=1
for
since this one is looking like another indefinite
stall
the attached recent crystall ball try is all the more
preposterous

so dont bet on her even if geographically located

& you are probably already aware that the kosovo
tripoint prospect was also slowed
tho not necessarily quite so stalled out
by the passing of the father of that likely new
country

& todays supposed eggzil 3way border cross opening was
another bust
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=97161
so thats no hot prospect there
if it ever was
with no one & nothing to recommend it anywhere in
sight now

& the bolivian hopefuls seem to have quietly survived
the indianization of that country

etc
etc

so today it is looking like one ambazania is about as
good as any other

but i suppose kosovo must remain the slight favorite
at the moment
both for next seat at the united nations
& for a very plausible tripoint location too

or does anyone have a likelier idea

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/djibouti_1968.jpg
> i have now managed to whittle the guess down to
about

http://allpuntland.com/eng/news_item.asp?NewsID=1934
> > likely mark the end of their recent border war
over

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/somalia_pol02.jpg
> > which together comprise the eastern & slightly
> > bigger
> > half of historic aka british somaliland
> >
> > this development could greatly simplify the path
> > full somaliland independence from somalia
> > within definite borders
> > & possibly also tho less likely full puntland
> > independence too
> > from what would then become a progressively rumpy
> > somalia
> > as shown here approximately & not at all
necessarily
> > in its likeliest 3 cuts
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puntland
> >
> > & there is no mention of a territorial treaty in
the

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/MapCenter/Map.aspx?TextLatitude=8.929399217895616&TextLongitude=47.1670222003982&TextAltitude=8&TextSelectedEntity=216&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Comprehensive&MapSize=Large&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=laascaanood+somalia&MapStylesList=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on&ResultsListbox=9.45996909481857%3B47.1670222003982%3B2%3B216%3BSomalia%2C+Africa%3BLarge%3BComprehensive
> > indicate the mentioned sool capital las anod as
> > laascaanood
> >
> > so the mentioned party town of ariade or ari adey
> > could be adhicadeeye just to its nw on the encarta
> > map
> > seeing as they do spell so funny around there
> >

> > but the real question for crystal ball gazing
> > multipointers becomes
> > whether somaliland will remain whole when she
> > secedes
> > or whether some territory of any of these 3
> > contested
> > ethnically puntish regions will fall to punt
> >
> > if somaliland manages to establish independence
> > within
> > her full formerly british territory
> > then her new world class tripoint will fall at the
> > point also generally recognized as the easternmost
> > of
> > ethiopia
> > aka ete
> > & indeed thats where there used to be an etgbit
> > world
> > class tripoint
> > between 1908 & 1940 i think it was
> > both de jure & de facto for at least that long
> > & where there was still a world class tripoint
> > just as lovely but by some other name til as
> > recently
> > as 1960
> >

> > it is of course still a huge if tho
> > not only because puntland won the war
> > but also because it wouldnt be the first
territorial

http://www.civicwebs.com/cwvlib/africa/somalia/1951/general_survey/chapter_9.htm#468.

> > & which are also good btw to see the ethnic
> > distributions
> >

> > & the whole world
> > but particularly the african union for some
strange
> > reason
> > whose opinion evidently really matters to the
> > destiny
> > of this prospective somaliland tripoint
> > i can tell you
> > has extreme fetishes about maintaining all the
> > ridiculous old colonial boundary lines in place
> > as well as about keeping all presently whole
> > countries
> > entire as much as possible
> >
> > & that odd fact alone has been the biggest
stumbling
> > block to the birth of this tripoint so far
> >
> > as it probably will continue to be
> >

> > but i have a hunch or maybe only a hope that the
> > reason for this sudden outbreak of peace
> > above & beyond the fact that somaliland is an
> > intrinsically agreeable & peace loving place
> > is that
> > now that she has shown herself to be a model
> > democracy
> > & so fully deserving of independence
> > some quiet but larger deal has been struck
> > & some clear arrangement been made
> > & probably not just locally & bilaterally but pan
> > somalian or more likely pan african in scope
> > or maybe it even happened in dc or turtle bay
> > that will provide for somaliland to make good her
> > escape from somalia
> > if not entire
> > then with her primary ethnic constituency whole
> > & i should think much relieved by being relieved
of
> > so
> > much of herself & the possibility of future
internal

http://www.civicwebs.com/cwvlib/africa/somalia/1951/general_survey/chapter_4.htm#F.
> > it is my best but still not very educated guess
that
> > the flake off line & military front & timely cut
> > would
> > run along this mentioned somewhat crooked old
> > british
> > cut line too
> > pretty much right down the middle of the colony
> > most of which still survives to divide sanaag &
sool
> > from western somaliland
> > & which evidently once reached & would again reach
> > ethiopia
> > to produce a brand new world class tripoint
> > at about nlat8d20m x elong46d10m
> > as you can also see or imagine on the nicely
gridded
> > encarta map about 20km wnw of the etso border town
> > of
> > buuhoodle
> >
> > for that is my crude but best guess & frankly hope
> > for
> > the new breakaway somaliland tripoint at the
moment

> > & it is crude not only because my estimated window
> > in
> > tens of minutes is pretentiously narrow
> > & needs to be refined based on a better map
> > but also because i dont really know but only
surmise
> > &
> > wishfully think
> > for the sake of elegant simplicity too
> > that the buuhoodle district of the eastern
togdheer