Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] byplua
Date: Dec 20, 2005 @ 14:42
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

also
according to the cia
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/bo.html
apparently
the tripoint specs given in the 1998 belarus text in
message 6968 & shown in the soviet topo
both of which are still linked below
& which probably also agree with the 1997 byua draft
border agreement the factbook mentions
were never actually ratified even bilaterally by by&ua
it goes on to say
nor was any of their border ever marked even
indirectly by them jointly
so
not only are the 1122 & 1123 alignments likely busted
& rebusted
if indeed they were ever found
but equally or moreso any alignments with purported
byua markers
since these are likely still only of the decorative
unilateral offset persuasion
rather than such working bilateral marker rocks as we
might prefer to hang our hat on

&
any bypl or plua markers chancing to face off across
the bug are also very likely referring only to the bug
border & not to the tripoint expressly

so frankly
thus far
the bit about the barbed wire fencing lends more
credibility than any of the observed monumentation
yet is still neither here nor there in itself
since of course not all barbed wire is necessarily on
a border either

but also again
since the presence of the canal
even historically
implies the navigability of this border river too
just as much as does this visual inspection in the
neighborhood at time of slack water
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bug_wlodawa01b-04.jpg
there is reason to doubt the belarussian text
or at least the english translation of it that we have
to the extent of its specification of
the middle
of the bug
when the thalweg is more probably what is specified in
the defining soviet polish treaty

& since that admittedly minor but essential detail is
still in such doubt
then i might also want to question the impression
given alongside it
that the tripoint falls where the canal edge
projection would reach the polish border
because
since the entry angle of the canal is so oblique
i think byua may actually reach poland more normally
from the sw corner of the canal cut
not by continuing straight along an imaginary
projection of the canal edge
but by turning there to face directly across the bug &
thus reach the thalweg at right angles to it

indeed perhaps some 50 meters farther upstream i would
guess at this point

so i am just thinking out loud in advance of our
getting a first actual glimpse at the canal entry

but this final essential detail of the trifinial
diagram may yet reach us in the original words of the
unratified 1997 byua agreement sooner than does any
actual onsite photography anyway

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=poland&ll=51.508742,23.646011&spn=0.025324,0.082355&t=h&hl=en

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/x-ussr/100k/M-34-024.jpg